The Benefits of Dental Crowns
Crowns are an essential part of dentistry. They are used for cosmetic purposes, like when a person would like to hide stained teeth, and provide structural support, like when your Cincinnati, OH, dentists at Cornerstone Dental Group need to give a patient a dental implant because of tooth loss. Drs. Ron Solomon and Angela Burleson-Ott provide patients with crowns.
Here is what you need to know about crowns:
Dental crown are referred to as a “cap” because they cover or are placed over damaged, decayed and/or unattractive teeth. They come in several separate materials: porcelain, porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns (PFM), and porcelain with zirconia.
You will only need to visit your Cincinnati dentist two times to get dental crowns made. First, the natural tooth is prepared to create a uniform shape that the dental cap can fit over. The next step consists of your dentist taking an impression of your natural tooth using a putty-like impression material. The impression is sent to a dental laboratory and models of your teeth created so lab technicians can design a properly functioning crown that also matches the rest of your teeth.
Don't worry, you'll be given a temporary dental crown until all this happens. During your second visit, your dentist will cement the permanent crown and harden the cement using a special light source.
What are the benefits of dental crowns?
- They reinforce and strengthen teeth, and prevent natural teeth from moving out of place in case of tooth loss.
- They restore teeth to their natural shape and size, especially if there was decay.
- They are used during other oral procedures, like to cover a dental implant or attach a bridge.
- They protect weak teeth from breaking and prevent dental fillings from completely dislodging in case they're already loose.
- Dental crowns enhance a person's smile and appearance by covering discolored and stained teeth.
- A dental crown fixes issues like speech, chewing function and improves bad bites.
- They can last a long time if taken care of properly, so don't forget to brush and floss on a regular basis.
Speak with our Cincinnati, OH, dentists Dr. Ron Solomon or Dr. Angela Burleson-Ott at Cornerstone Dental Group today.